We hear this a lot: I want SEO, what do I do?
The problem with SEO is that this type of marketing has become very diluted. There are many self-titled, untrained “SEO Wizards” and “Experts” who will charge you for quick results, that don’t last and hurt your website. We also encounter clients who are confused about what SEO is, because their last marketing firm doesn’t take the time to explain it. We wanted to take a moment to explain some of the most important aspects of SEO marketing, and how to implement them.
What is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It is the process of editing your website in a way that will cause it to appear more visibly in search engine results. Traffic that comes from search engine results is referred to as “natural” or “organic” and tend to correlate with higher conversion rates.
What is Black Hat SEO? Should I use it?
In short, NO! Black hat is the use of aggressive SEO techniques that only consider search engines, not end users. These techniques do not obey search engine guidelines. Some examples of black hat SEO are: keyword stuffing, k pages, and invisible text.
What is a Search Engine?
A search engine is a program that searches a database based on terms or keywords specified by a user. The engine then populates relevant results in a list. The most popular search engines are Google, Bing, Yahoo!, and Duck Duck Go.
Why Do I need SEO for my Law Firm?
Do you want business? SEO helps clients find your site. More users = more conversions.
OK… So Where Do I Start?
- Content: Your content should be high quality and spam free. You do a lot to get a user to your site, why lose them within the first few seconds with poorly written nonsense? What about blogging? Are you sharing unique content that helps you stand out from other law firms?
- Metas: Your page titles, meta descriptions, and headers should align with your pages information. For more details on this, please see our blog on Website Optimization Tips.
- Time: How long would you stick around on a site that loads slow? The internet is full of people looking for instant gratification, they won’t wait.
- Domain: Is your site URL branded? Do your links make sense?
- Links: backlinks are links to your site from external sources are generally considered the most important off-page optimization you can have. They increase your sites authority and search rankings. A high-quality link with unique anchor text is like a gold medal in SEO – treasure it.
- Social Media: What do people say about you? Do people care what you share? Social media is one of the only marketing tools you can use to communicate directly with a potential client, not participating will hurt your firm.
- Personality: What if your site is perfect, but your staff has terrible people skills? You work really hard to get the phone to ring, make sure your business reflects a positive attitude and environment.
If you would like more information about SEO for your law firm, please contact ONE400 – we are happy to help.