Many law firms are skeptical to put effort and resources into building a Facebook Company Page.
The secret formula to having an optimized Facebook Company page is:
- Design: Have a well designed Facebook Company page with a nice full length image and high resolution logo
- Posting Firm News: Posting about new associates/partners joining the firm; Any mentions or articles about the firm
- Community News: Any news that is relevant to the community; Commentary on events happening in the neighborhood
- Conversations: Start conversations with local businesses or individuals, depending on who your target client is; Start conversations with reporters so that you are on their radar; Discussion prompts to engage the right audience
- Blog Posts: Push all of your blog posts out via social media to show your expertise in a given practice area
- Industry News: Any industry news that is trending and relevant to your practice area (you want to be seen as a curator and expert in your field
- Recruiting: Humanize your practice area by posting pictures of attorneys doing non-legal work (i.e. social activities and philanthropic ventures)
- Visuals: use pictures, videos and any other visual components to engage audiences
Below are some examples of firms that are doing a good job in some capacity.
Sidley and White & Case do a decent job at using their Facebook pages for purposes of recruiting. They post videos and pictures of all of their social and philanthropic events. They do a good job at humanizing their attorneys and engaging with law students.
This personal injury firm does a great job with keeping up with industry news and community news. They also do a great job giving credit to publications and reporters as well. They need to work on engaging their audience a little more instead of just posting news.
Michelman posts a cartoon every Friday that is designed by one of their attorneys. I found this to be an interesting and unique approach. They also engage their attorneys who are proud to work at the firm given that they are tagging the firm in their personal posts! This is a great way to get brand awareness for your firm, by leaning on the network effects of all your attorneys!
This firm is doing a great job with discussion prompts. Above is an example of their attempt at engaging their audience. The post is relevant and timely. The one thing that this firm needs is to have more followers which they could accomplish by using the appropriate hashtags and by using other social media channels (i.e. Twitter and LinkedIn) to amplify their Facebook like count.